Extremely cold weather is common, and when temperatures drop, We want you to remember these tips to stay safe while you stay warm:
- If you use portable heaters, be sure they have an automatic safety shut-off switch and never leave children unattended in rooms with portable heaters.
- Supervise children and pets at all times when a portable space heater is in use.
- Never use space heaters to dry flammable items such as clothing or blankets.
- Keep all flammable objects at least three feet from space heaters.
- Install smoke detectors on every level, test them monthly and replace batteries at least yearly.
- If any appliances or heating devices in your home produce carbon monoxide (CO), be sure to install CO detectors in your home and then test and properly maintain the detectors.
- Have a qualified service technician check and clean your heating system every year.